Thursday 28 May 2009

something about clutter

Yesterday I wrote that I was proud of myself for maintaining diligence and ambition throughout my Bachelor. Today I was reminded that I yet have a long way to go. I realised that presently, I am literally at the very sewer of advertising (today I created an ad for a Toilet Upgrade), but then also the very hardcore of my career - an eye opener that defines what advertising can be, and in fact usually is. Also referred to as clutter. Thus, what we [advertising students] believe advertising is all about, how it should appear, is only the top of the iceberg. No need to explain that metaphor. The point is, maybe I should not downgrade myself for creating tender ads that are targeted towards level 1 builders, but rather be pleased to have gained that realisation. That advertising is not just about persuading through creativity or influencing through appeals, but to inform. Of course, informative advertising as such can be communicated creatively and through different appeals, yet the purpose is ultimately formal. You get the point. Clutter will always constitute the substantial chunk of advertising, whatever amount of diligence and ambition you may have.

No comments: