Monday 2 March 2009

something about recapping

Isn't it great to sometimes recap on things you've already been taught? Of course, you may think that recapping only is repetitive hence unnecessary, yet I share opinion with my current lecture in Marketing Strategy - KY Lee - that recapping on things you've learnt should rather be seen as a reinforcement hence necessary. The reason for bringing this to the discussion-board is because I had a moment of effective reinforcement only yesterday when I superficially browsed through the first chapter of my Foundations of Advertising-book. The 'aha'-moment was evoked when I, by reaction, read advertising-legend David Ogilvy's name somewhere in between a clutter of letters; he explained his view of advertising as conversation:

I always pretend that I'm sitting beside a woman at a dinner party, and she asks me for advice about which product she should buy. So then I write down what I would say to her. I give her fact, facts, facts. I try to make it interesting, fascinating, if possible, and personal - I don't write to the crowd. I try to write from one human being to another... And I try not to bore the poor woman to death, and I try to make it as real and personal as possible. /D. Ogilvy

Quite simple yet insightful even of today.


The man behind the metaphor - David Ogilvy.

2 comments: